Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Coping Mechanism

Ten more weeks of winter, so Todd keeps reminding me. This is the time of year when you just have to suck it up and deal with the fact that it's going to be cold and snowy for another couple of months, and there's nothing you or I can do about it.

So, we cope. And, as you may have figured, my way of coping with practically everything is with food. When I'm sad, I drown my sorrows by eating. When I'm happy, I reward myself by eating. And when I'm cold, I warm myself by eating...soup.

For years, whenever my mom bought a Honeybaked Ham for the holidays, she always picked up a bag of split peas to make soup with the leftover ham bone. It was salty and smoky and full of rich flavor from the bits of ham still clinging to the bone. It's been quite a few years since she's bought a ham and, hence, a few years since she's made her soup. And I missed it something awful.

So, with temperatures hovering in the mid-20s over the weekend, it was a perfect time for me to replicate her soup. During my early morning trip to Eastern Market last Saturday, I made a stop at the Hampshire Farms stand, where they were selling a wide variety of organic dried beans and grains from their farm in Kingston, Michigan. In addition to a 2.5-lb. bag of organic oatmeal ($3.50), I picked up a 2-lb. bag of organic split peas ($3) for my soup. Rather than buying a chunk of ham or a smoked pork hock at the market's outdoor meat stand, I opted instead for a slab of freshly-smoked bacon. It was meaty with a nice streak of fat running through and, with a little bit of rind still attached, would be just perfect for flavoring my soup.

Split Pea Soup with Bacon

1/2 lb. thick-sliced bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
olive oil, as needed
1 large carrot, chopped
2 lbs. dried split peas, rinsed and picked over
1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
1 quart water (plus additional, as needed)
1-2 tsp. liquid smoke, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

In a large stockpot over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy and browned, and fat is rendered. Remove from pan and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.

In the bacon fat, sautee onions and garlic until softened and lightly golden, adding olive oil, if needed. Add carrot and sautee until softened.

Add split peas, stock, and water. Add additional water to cover, if needed. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, until peas are softened, approximately 25 minutes.

When peas are softened, puree to desired consistency using an immersion blender. This may also be done in a food processor, then returned to the pot. If soup is too thick, add fresh water to your desired consistency. Return reserved bacon to the pot, along with liquid smoke, to taste.

Allow to return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

If you'd like to make this vegetarian, omit the bacon, sautee the vegetables in olive oil, and use vegetable stock. I like my split pea soup extra smoky, so even with the bacon, I still have a heavy pour with the liquid smoke. Generally, it's pretty strong, so add it sparingly until the soup reaches your desired level of smokiness.

Hampshire Farms has stands at Eastern Market, Royal Oak Market, and Oakland County Market in Waterford. In addition to all of the organic grains and beans, Hampshire Farms also sells pastured organic eggs, grown with no hormones, antibiotics, or pesticides. Their hens and roosters are heritage breeds, fed with certified organic grains. For more information, visit www.hampshirefarmsorganic.com


No comments:

Post a Comment