Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Not Just for Southern White Trash Anymore


I'd always had a secret crush on Pimiento Cheese, in all its southern white trash glory. Scooped from its skinny little jar and spread on a Ritz cracker, Kraft Pimiento Cheese was barely one step up from the cheesy stuff that squirted out of a can. For years, I denied myself its cheddary delicousness, refusing to give in to its low-brow charms.
And then I read the BA Foodist's column singing its praises in last December's Bon Appetit. And then I discovered that Ann Arbor's own Zingerman's, purveyor of the finest foods, has been making its own version for years. It gave me license to come out of the Pimiento Cheese closet, and repent for renouncing it all these years by converting all of my friends to its side. In my final act of repentance, I am reproducing here the recipe published by Andrew Knowlton, Bon Appetit's Foodist, with a minor tweak (of course). Knowlton's recipe (actually, his grandmother's) uses yellow and white cheddar--I prefer to use all yellow. And, I highly recommend using piquillo peppers over pimientos or red bell peppers, as they tend to be much more flavorful. Jarred, roasted piquillos can be found at Trader Joe's next to the jarred, roasted bell peppers.


Grandma Knowlton's Pimiento Cheese

1-1/2 c. finely shredded extra-sharp yellow cheddar
1-1/2 c. finely shredded extra-sharp white cheddar
1 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. diced drained pimientos from a jar, roasted red bell peppers, or piquillo peppers
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt & pepper, to taste

Mix ingredients in a medium bowl, mashing well with a fork. This can also be done in a food processor, pulsing gently until combined. Be careful not to pulse too much, or the peppers will lose their texture. Cover, chill until cold, approximately 2 hours. Serve with Ritz crackers and celery sticks.

Recipe from Bon Appetit, December 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment