Tuesday, July 13, 2010

We Be Jammin'!


Last summer, when I found myself with a bit of extra time on my hands post-layoff, my cousin Toni taught me the art of jamming. This may sound like an exaggeration (and, I assure you, it is not), but it was kind of life-altering! Who knew making and canning jam could be so easy?

When Todd and I came home with 20 pounds of blueberries from a trip to Kalamazoo last July, the prospect of jamming was at the top of my mind. Toni came by and took me to the local ACE Hardware to pick up some essential canning equipment: a big, black boiling-water canning pot, a pair of jar lifters, a wide-mouth canning funnel, and a pile of canning jars with two-piece lids (you know, the kind with a flat lid and a screw top).

We spent a long afternoon, gossipping and noshing, as Toni walked me step-by-step through the process: from sterilizing the jars and lids to processing the jam-filled jars in a hot water bath. She even clued me in on a tip for knowing when the jars are properly sealed: as the jars cool upon removal from the water bath, they will give off a very satisfying "click" sound as the flat top gets sucked in to the jar.

I took an early morning trip to Eastern Market this past Saturday to see what kind of fruit I could muster up for this season's first jam session. Unfortunately, I missed the peak of strawberry and raspberry season, so I went with the familiar blueberry. I picked up a 5-lb. box from a local farmer, and stored them at home in a cool, dry place until I could get to them today. My effort in jamming was a successful one, and I look forward to another year of enjoying delicious blueberry jam. I'll be back to the market this coming weekend to see what else I can find. Perhaps some fresh Michigan cherries.

Blueberry Jam

6-1/2 c. chopped blueberries (approximately 5 pints whole berries pulsed in a food processor)
1/2 c. water
4-1/2 c. sugar
1 box SURE JELL fruit pectin

Special equipment: boiling-water canner with rack; 9 8-oz. jam jars with 2-part lids; wide-mouthed canning funnel; jar lifter

Bring boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer.

Wash jars and screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Allow to dry on baking sheet lined with kitchen towel. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan or metal bowl. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before use.

In a food processor, pulse whole berries until roughly chopped. Do not puree. Jam should have bits of fruit.

Measure exact quantity of chopped blueberries into a 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Stir in water.

Measure exact quantity of sugar into separate bowl. Do not reduce amount of sugar.

In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup sugar from measured amount and 1 box SURE-JELL fruit pectin. Stir pectin-sugar mixture into fruit in saucepot.

Bring mixture to full rolling boil (continues bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.

Stir in remaining sugar quickly. Return to full roiling boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Using canning funnel, ladle jam quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads with damp paper towel. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly.

Using jar lifter, place jars on elevated rack in canner. Water must cover jars by 1-2 inches; add boiling water, if needed.

Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process jam 10 minutes.

Remove jars using lifter and place upright on towel-lined baking sheet to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration and immediate use is necessary. As the jars cool, listen for the lids to "click," indicating they have sealed properly. The flat top of the lid will be slightly concave.

Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Store unopened jars in cool, dry, dark place up to 1 year. Refrigerate opened jam up to 3 weeks.

Yields 9 8-oz. jars.

This recipe is per the instructions in the box of SURE JELL fruit pectin. Other brands will vary slightly in proportions. I also picked up a box of Ball (as in Ball jar) fruit pectin, and will give that a shot the next time out.

No comments:

Post a Comment