Wednesday, March 3, 2010

It's the Cheesiest!

While reorganizing my pantry the other day, I came across a random package of elbow macaroni, the purpose of buying of which I can not recall. However, in these days of wasting not, I decided I'd make a little old-fashioned Macaroni & Cheese for dinner last night.

A few months ago, while listening to an episode of NPR's cooking program, "The Splendid Table," I heard host Lynne Rossetto Kasper's unusual recipe for Macaroni & Cheese, that did not begin with the traditional bechamel sauce. She swore by this recipe as the absolute best version of the classic American favorite. Given I'd never attempted any other recipe for mac-n-cheese than the standard bechamel-based, I figured I'd give this a shot.

The resulting dish featured a rich, creamy sauce, that was fragrant of fresh garlic and onion. It was definitely easy to assemble--the sauce created in the bowl of a food processor instead of a saucepan--and required no fancy ingredients. Texturally, it was different than a traditional macaroni and cheese--the addition of egg gave it a slightly custard-y mouthfeel that Todd likened to his mother's cheesy potatoes. That aside, however, it was delicious and will definitely remain in my repetoire of recipes.

Lynne Rossetto Kasper's Macaroni & Cheese (recipe has been doubled, below)

2 c. raw elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
2 large eggs
1 1/3 c. milk
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 1/3 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 tsp. each of red chili flakes, black pepper, and salt
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
4 Tbsp. melted butter
12 saltine crackers, crumbled

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a deep 2-quart baking dish and add cooked macaroni.

In a blender or food processor, combine egg, milk, and garlic, and process 3 seconds. Add onion, cheeses, and seasonings, and process 10 seconds. Turn into the baking dish, combining with macaroni.

Combine melted butter and cracker crumbs in a small bowl and spread over top of casserole. Bake 30-35 minutes until thick, yet creamy. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.

Note: I found the onion to be slightly overpowering and recommend cutting the amount slightly. Also, I recommend making the sauce in a blender instead of a food processor--the amount of liquid called for is too much for a processor bowl. I learned this the hard way, and ended up with a small, milky mess on my countertop...and backsplash...and floor.

For more recipes from The Splendid Table, visit http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/


1 comment: